The TESOL Certificate Program is designed for teachers of English as a Foreign Language who want to continue their professional development, for professionals in Canada considering a career change, for international students who wish to be trained as teachers of the English language, and for recent college graduates who want to travel and teach abroad.
Certificate candidates receive intensive academic training and take part in relevant professional and cultural experiences, all within a ten week period of instruction.
- Explore different methodologies, materials,
- Learn more about language and theories of second language learning,
- Engage in meaningful interactions with Canadian and International colleagues,
- Immerse yourself in English culture,
The program provides an integrated curriculum of courses, workshops, and supervised student teaching organized in approximately ten, one-week units:
- Foreign Language Experience
- Language Awareness
- Student Profile
- Teaching Techniques
- Teaching Practice and Observation
- Materials Project
- Class Management
- Natural Discourse
- Language of Teaching
The Language System of English
Discuss theories on the origins of language; compare writing systems; experience how sounds are produced (phonology), sound patterns make up the English language (phonetics), how words are formed (morphology), sentences are structured (syntax), meaning is conveyed (semantics) and languages are used (pragmatics).
Teaching, Learning and Assessing
Talk about how languages are learned, how the four skills (reading, writing, listening & speaking) fit into a model of communicative competence, and what all of this means for designing classroom activities and assessing student performance.
Language Classroom Practices
Learn how to plan lessons, design activities, and assess learners. Become familiar with techniques for promoting interaction, providing feedback, utilizing textbooks, developing one’s own materials, dealing with mixed ability level groups, incorporating strategy training in lessons, and managing a classroom.
Student Teaching Practicum
Gain hours of supervised team-student teaching. Participants have an opportunity to implement the materials they have developed and the concepts they have learned over the week, as well as receive feedback from experienced teachers.
- For more details on the content of this program, you may contact our office and ask for the TESOL booklet.
University BA, BSc. or equivalent for those who need Standard Level 1 teaching from TESL Canada Federation.
If you do not have a bachelor’s degree
- If the applicant does not have a university degree and wishes to register for this program, she/he will be accepted but is not eligible for standard level 1 certification from TESL Canada. The graduates will receive their certificate from Canada College enabling them to teach ESL courses anywhere in the world. The only difference is that those without a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to teach TESOL courses.
- Official copies of your college transcripts should be sent directly to the program coordinator: Mr. Anvari.
- We will be happy to accept unofficial copies of your transcripts attached to your application pending the receipt of official ones.
If your English proficiency is not at the level to enroll in the TESOL program, you may take certain English courses and pass the requirement stipulated by CANADA COLLEGE prior to registration in the TESOL Certificate Program.
(Duration: 190 hours)
- All scores should be sent to the attention of our Administration Office in Tehran.
TESOL Language Requirement,
(For further inquiries, you can call (98 21) 22418830/22176902 or stop by our office)